Call: 813-689-2207

Protect Your Pet from Five Common Household Dangers

As we approach National Animal Poison Prevention Week (March 19 to 25), our team is eager to share valuable information about common household products that can be dangerous for furry family members.

#1: Medications

For curious pets, one of the most dangerous household hazards to ingest are medications. Food-motivated dogs might be especially tempted by a dropped pill, or even rummage through guests’ suitcases in search of pills inside bottles. Medication overdoses can prove deadly – if you suspect your pet has consumed any kind of medication without permission, contact an animal poison control hotline right away!

#2: Food

The kitchen can be a veritable den of danger for your furry friend, as tempting morsels like chocolate and macadamia nuts are simply too irresistible. Not only that, but food such as avocados, unbaked yeast doughs, alcohol-containing products, grapes, and raisins all have the potential to cause serious illness in pets – from kidney failure and seizures to life-threatening hypoglycemia. To keep your pet safe around the kitchen area keep them away while you cook and invest in locking trash cans to deter counter surfers!

#3: Household chemicals

Your beloved pet can suffer from serious health concerns if they consume chemical substances found in your home, so it’s important to keep these potentially hazardous items hidden and secure away from curious noses. Common chemicals that should be kept out of reach include:

  • Cleaning products
  • Disinfectants
  • Aerosol air fresheners and other products
  • Candles
  • Antifreeze
  • Windshield washer fluid
  • Paint
  • Glue
  • Nail polish remover

#4: Houseplants

If you have pets, it is important to be mindful of the houseplants and outdoor flowers that can cause sickness or death if ingested. For instance, lilies are incredibly dangerous for cats – even contact with its pollen can prove fatal! Dieffenbachia, elephant ear, and spider plants also pose a risk when kept indoors; ivy and oleander should never be planted outside in gardens where your pet may come into contact with them. To make sure your blooms won’t sicken your pet, look up any uncertain species on the ASPCA’s Toxic Plant List before making a purchase.

#5: Batteries and coins

Ingesting batteries and coins can have potentially dangerous repercussions, such as metal poisoning. Additionally, if your beloved pet punctures a battery while chewing on it, they are prone to suffer from serious chemical burns. Moreover, when swallowed whole, intact batteries could become lodged in the gastrointestinal tract and trigger an obstruction.

In the event that your pet has come into contact with a hazardous material, don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team right away.